Thursday, April 2, 2015

Jesus said "I am going away now. Take care of one another. I will be back"



"Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once. Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, 'Where I am going, you cannot come.' I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

John 13: 31-35


Maundy Thursday....kneeling at the feet of the other....foot washing...the Lord's Supper...the Stripping of the Altar....

Tonight is a tender and poignant night. It can agitate the hardest heart...it can make us squirm as we face the reminder that Almighty God, Creator of the Universe, spent His last night with His disciples teaching them about His capacity to lower himself to the place of lowest esteem.

If you take time to read all of John 13 you will open yourself to the scene where Jesus speaks (and models) boldly...clearly...directly about humility that is grounded in love. So often when we serve others we do so from a place of comfort and abundance. We give to others from our abundance of time, talents, or financial resources. Clearly this is a good...and wonderful...and purposeful thing to do.

But Jesus went further than giving from abundance. He served and loved from total surrender and humility. He served by placing himself lower than the one he was serving.

Several years ago my 87 year old mother in law lived in our home. She needed assistance bathing. Every few days I offered to serve her as her "spa attendant". Day after day I knelt before her, allowing my hands to serve as her hands....caring for her in ways that she used to accomplish independently and privately.

Christ met me during those "spa" times... I never would have seen myself capable of serving my mother in law in that way with grace and compassion. Drive you around? Take you shopping? Help prepare some meals for you? Easy!

Kneel before you and extend the hospitality that crosses the boundary of self esteem? Not so easy....

But Jesus, you go before me, showing me how to do that...inviting me to serve and love others not from my strength and abundance...but from your love and compassion lavished upon us as you lowered yourself at the feet of others.

For reflection:

What do you notice about today's scripture lesson?
Are there things that you are being asked to do that draw from your humility rather than from your strength? How do you respond when that happens?

No comments: