Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Skin

Many folks lament winter, though it has only been with us (really) for less than a month.  It seems that we overemphasize the way winter limits us, rather than appreciate the occasional eruptions of life's energy. 

Winter is more energetic than one might imagine. Things are taking place behind the scenes!  It might be helpful (and wise) to remember that power is percolating.

 Why, just a day ago birdsong burst through ... spring's tones pierced the winter morning, just for an instant...  did you notice it? 

In this moment, I look out my window at the blanket of snow and I know that below the surface all sorts of plants, insects and animals are at rest....  and that the first kiss of thaw will stimulate a breakthrough into the new life of 2011.  The earth will give way to greening blades of grass and grain.   Buds will burst, and any creature that must crack a shell or shed a skin so that it may grow will do just that! 

What about the life of faith?  What might be at work within the old familiar territories of our mind and hearts?   Are there questions, wonderments, and stirring possibilities that are being nourished by God's hope?  I look at today's reading from Matthew, and I can't help but wonder about how the Holy Spirit ferments within our lives.  We can't always predict the outcome or specific configuration of God's work beneath the surface...but we know that "something" new is approaching and emerging.

We are all familiar with the expressions that affirm creativity:  "Think out of the box".  "Color outside the lines".  Isn't it interesting that Jesus knew about that as well... that the Way of the Lord would generate something so powerful that it simply would not be contained by previous patterns of thinking and being.  The effort to implement God's plan in rigid programs would be counter-productive (at best) and possibly even fruitless. 

Image source: 
http://www.pericope.org/buls-notes/images/wine_skin.jpg

I suppose if I knew precisely what God was up to, I would be able to envision the pattern and the form of the ministry we share.  However, God's thoughts are so much more immense than mine, or yours, or theirs (wherever and whoever "they" are).  There may be some predictability about the days ahead, but chances are more likely that there will be variation and contrasts, surprises of all sorts. 

Therefore, the prayer for today might best be one of willingness to try on the new skin that will be provided by God.  Most likely the words "We've never done it that way before" will be heard. 

It seems to me, though, that those words are a valid indicator that the new wine of God's call to us is being tasted!  It seems to me that part of our winter activity might be to try on some fresh cloth, some new skin.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My maternal grandmother liked to promise that she would do this or that "once the weather breaks," i.e: when winter is finally over.

As I write, a fresh blanket of snow is due to cover the winter wheat planted over so much of northern Ohio last fall. It sprang up to the length of a lawn not recently mown, but, for now, it lies dormant, waiting for the sun to creep northward, the snow to melt, and the ground to warm.

"Waiting" is the operant word. But, the farmer waits with confidence that, barring spring floods, there'll be a harvest come July...a harvest of special soft Ohio winter wheat, the kind that makes the flour that Southern woman cherish for making their fluffiest biscuits. (Look for "White Lily" flour next time you are grocery shopping!)

There are different kinds of waiting. Apropos of the snow, I'm waiting for the next good dose of white and a chance to use that snow thrower I just bought! (The day after I bought it, I opened the garage door only to discover a kind neighbor had spoiled my excitement and cleared the driveway for me! Maybe I'll get the chance to return the favor later this week!)

But, I'm also waiting for a good friend and colleague to return with his reserve unit from Afghanistan. He's been in my hart and on my mind since his departure in August of last year.

And, I'm waiting for some of the spiritual things I've been working on to begin to bear fruit and nudge me in new directions.

One of my earliest learnings in seminary Greek was that there are two words for time...chronos, which is the orderly passage of time as recorded on watches or "chronometers,"...and the other is kairos, which means the right time, the opportune moment...often God's moment.

Patience is, perhaps, a virtue after all!