Monday, November 29, 2010

Tips for waiters

Today's reading from Genesis tells the story of patient, hope-filled waiting.  

Do you remember the days before you were able to drive a car?  I do.  And I remember waiting endless hours (it seemed like hours) for either public transportation or a car pool or my parents to arrive and provide my ride.  I recall that I didn't like being dependent upon others, but there was no choice in the matter.   Needless to say, the rides always showed up (eventually) and now, in retrospect I know that the "waiting skills" I learned have served me well. 



I recall that if I stood at the bus stop, and peered down the road for the first glimpse of the bus, the time seemed to drag on.  Repeatedly looking at my watch didn't help pass the time either.  The real kiss of death, though, was when I began to doubt whether or not my "ride" would remember me.  The thought of being forgotten led to wonder of "what now?"  "what will I do?" ...  and then anger would set in... It wasn't pretty! 

On the other hand, if I settled into the waiting space I found that the time could be used to read, or work a puzzle, or sing some songs (usually silently!) or even practice a few steps from my tap dance lessons.  I learned to trust the reliability of my drivers....and that trust made all the difference. 

As we settle in to this Advent time, we know we are waiting for God's promise which has been spoken through the ages...through prophets...and finally through Christ.  We are rooted in a certainty that cuts through the fleeting and empty promises of the world.  We are given glimpses of all that God intends, a foretaste of the feast. 

Advent waiting provides a mysterious fullness of the heart as we practice simplification.  We pay attention to the yearning of the soul, and as we do so that yearning is directed toward God's ultimate promise. 

Let's wait ... together. 

1 comment:

Amy Little said...

When I first read the title I flashed back to my days of being a "waiter"-- well actually a waitress (you never know what a story will trigger in someone else, eh?) Anyway, when I was at my busiest in each of the 5 or 6 restaurants I've worked at in my past, I would always come to a customer who said they were ready to order, but they really weren't. They stalled as they continued to look at the menu; asked a question or two or ten to bide more time to make that crucial dining decision. I would wait patiently for a minute or two, but my mind was telling me all of the other things I needed to be doing away from that table to make my other customers happy (deliver a check, bring a salad, refill some coffee, get some more bread, return some change etc.) Patience was needed in these circumstances. Waiting was hard, but soon the decision would be made and all would be well again. I had to stay present with that person as they mulled over the details and angst of what was before them. (Sounds like a spiritual director's job!! ) Just one more example of how God has been working on me to be patient and learn to wait over the years. Thanks for the conjuring up of that memory!