Friday, December 3, 2010

Tending The Tender Shoots

Sometimes the new life God promises simply unfolds, and with little or no action on our part God's magnificent peace heals our brokenness.  At other times, we must participate by courageously stepping towards the hope in our heart and do what we can to provide safe space for its birth.  When we willingly approach a situation or a relationship that is "barren", we are consenting to God's action.  One reader wrote of Advent Hope that has been born in her family, where a chasm is being bridged! 
My Response to: “Learn from the fig tree”

I truly appreciate the words that in “Advent… we acknowledge the presence of all that torments and terrifies us—and … stand in that turmoil with open, trusting hearts that will receive the seeds of hope and new life. …Even in the midst of suffering and darkness, Love and Light are approaching.”


As my children’s holiday visit came closer I began to think and feel that only some form of mediation would help us soften the hardened regions of our relationship, i.e., both accusing the other of misdeeds and consequent non-communication. It took three tries but I was able to find a qualified Christian person to meet with us during the busy time of the visit. I felt that even if I were wrong, I needed to open up the situation to God's hand.


To my surprise my children’s confrontation caught me up short. My words, when taken out of the situation in which they were spoken, seemed so unlike my own image of myself but definitely capable of being hurtful to them. My repeated suggestions and offerings to their decisions were in disregard of their adult and familial boundaries. The manner in which I requested more communication and support from them were manipulative.


On the other hand they admitted that they had become over reactive to my words and that not supporting me with regular communication had wronged me. They thanked me for arranging the mediation.


With new understandings and apologies I can now see God’s love pulsing. With the help of our mediator hope for a new loving relationship entered. Beneath our sorrows for the past, previously unforeseen possibilities do exist. New friendships, like the green tips of the fig tree branches, can develop and new joy will be found in its leaves.
         I am grateful for God’s love and look forward to our new life in Christ!

What action on your part may be necessary for new life to emerge?  How might you tend the tender shoots that are sprouting?

No comments: